Monday, August 3, 2009

Did I Miss Something?

I have been paying for a gym membership for 5 years. Every summer, I try to go to the gym. The summer the twins were 1 1/2 they did pretty well since we had a routine. Eat breakfast while watching big brother during swim lessons. Then get big brother, clean up our mess, and go to the playroom. We did this Monday through Friday so they got used to it. Last summer they would cry and cry and they'd come ask me politely to please get my screaming kids out of there! OR when they were having fun they would throw toys, not out of anger they like to throw things is all. So I tried that for 2 weeks and never go to workout so I gave up working out at the gym and started at home. This week, my oldest son has soccer camp from 9-12 and the gym is right between his camp and our house. So I decided to try it AGAIN.

They knew who we were right when we walked in which worried me. They were asking me what it was that they used to get kicked out for. One gal actually remembered their crying. Great. I said yes either crying or throwing or diapers or whatever. Well the boys are potty trained and have actually asked to go in there when we've been at the gym just to swim. I figured all of this was a good sign so I decided to try it again. I'm actually not sure what their problem was because they go to a daycare during the school year. It's not like they're new to daycare. But I guess different routine, different people, created different reactions than normal.

Anywhoo, I went to the gym today and was able to do 40 minutes on the Stair Master and 30 minutes on the weight machines. Now here's what I noticed during my workout; I know it's been awhile since I worked out in a gym BUT are weight machines now only for older folks or teens??? Because as I was doing my circuit, that's all I saw. Me and senior citizens, not that's there anything wrong with them, and one teen. Do younger ladies now workout in the free weight room? I gotta tell you, I'm scared to go in the free weight room. One reason is I don't really know what to do in there. Another is there are men in there making all kinds of noises and moans and groans that freaks me out. A third is it's a room full of mirrors. I'm not into staring at myself while lifting weights. Is it me? Am I the last woman under 60 that's not using this room? Granted, normally I see the older folk using these techno key machines that remember their settings for them. I noticed that all of those machines have been removed and they are waiting for newer equipment. Maybe it was the time of day. I don't know but I felt weird being 36 surrounded by people in their 60's and 70's only. The people that looked close to my age were IN THE FREE WEIGHT ROOM. Ack! I know people get scared and intimidated to step into a gym period. I get that because that's how I feel going into the free weight room.

So question of the day is, are weight machines for older folks? Should I get over my free weight room fears? Could it be a fluke thing?

Major props to my 3 1/2 year old twins who made it an hour and a half in the playroom without getting kicked out!!

Workout-
Monday- 5 min. warm up, 30 min. on level 13 aerobic endurance, 5 min. cool down climbing and lifting with 5 lb. weights doing: 3 sets of each hammer curls, bicep curls, flys, and shoulder presses.
Then 2 sets of legs with 15 reps each and 2 sets arms and back 12 reps

6 comments:

Katy said...

You did very well - as did your boys!! Gosh, they're gorgeous!!

I go to a ladies only circuit gym, but I was never one for the free weights area! All those grunting men put me right off.

Emmett said...

Wow, what a difference between the before and after pic, congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Congrats on the great workout. My gym is the same: older folks on the weight machines just as you mentioned. I use the free weights (and use the abundant mirrors as motivation to get my butt moving! lol). The reason I started using free weights was because I was too lazy to change the pin in the machines but I've grown to love free weights and couldn't see myself changing anything. Check out Oxygen mag if you want to start learning how to use free weights - good stuff!

Unknown said...

Girl, I feel you on the gym playroom. The first time I took my 3yr old, I got called down b/c he got a bloody nose, the 2nd time, I had to get him b/c he hit someone. Now, I'm worried about what will happen next.

Mrs. Classic said...

I use to think the same thing about the treadmills but I realized it was the time I was going. If I go during peak times they are all full.
How cute are your boys!!

Beth said...

I'm not 60 yet, but I fear using the machines if it's all young folks using them. Guess we must all want to be with our peers.